Sunday 20 December 2015

Conjunctions

Conjunctions
A conjunction is a word that connects words or groups of words.
Spot the conjunctions in the following sentences.
1.        Bob and Dan are friends. (The conjunction "and" connects two nouns.)
2.        He will drive or fly. ("Or" connects two verbs.)
3.        It is early but we can go. ("But" connects two groups of words.)

Types of conjunctions
Coordinating conjunctions connect two equal parts of a sentence. The most common ones are: and, or, but, and so.
Subordinating conjunctions connect two parts of a sentence that are not equal. Some of the more common subordinating conjunctions are: after, before, unless, although, if, until, as, since, when, because, than, while etc.
Correlative conjunctions are pairs of conjunctions that work together. In the sentence Both ]an and Meg are good swimmers, "both" and "and" are correlative conjunctions. The most common correlative conjunctions are: both ... and, either ... or, neither ... nor, not only ... but also etc.
Pairs only
Some conjunctions are used in pairs only.
Their use is correct only in pairs, not otherwise. The more popular pairs are: Either ... or, neither ... nor, both ... and, though ... yet, although ... yet, whether ... or, not only ... but also, lest ... should, no sooner ... than, scarcely ... when, hardly ... when, as much ... as, etc.
Let us use these conjunction pairs in sentences.
1.      I shall either read or write a story.
2.      He is neither strong nor courageous.
3.      Both Mohan and Ram have passed.
4.      Though he is poor yet he is honest.
5.      I will go whether he comes or not.
6.      He will not only encourage you but also help you.
7.      Work hard lest you should fail.
8.      No sooner had he reached the station than the train started.
9.      It was hardly ten o'clock when I called on him.
10.    He is as much greedy as miserable.
Rules of use
"Either ... or" and "neither :.. nor" can be used as conjunctions linking two or more than two elements.
In other words, as correlative conjunctions they can be used for two or more than two persons or things. But as pronouns and adverbs they can be used for only two persons or things.
1.        Neither Ram nor his father, nor even his friend could be of any help to me.
2.        Neither power nor wealth, nor position can hold back the march of law.
3.        Either my father or my brother or my uncle will help me in my hour of need.
4.        Either Kanpur or Luckrw or Agra will be good enough to settle down after retirement.
5.        I shall either walk or jog to office.


After "not either" we should use "or" (not "nor")
1.        Your friend is not either reasonable or fair. ("nor fair" is wrong.)
2.        This book is not either exhaustive or up-to-date. ("nor up-to-date" is wrong.) 
1.        He has no relation or friend who can support him, (not "nor")
2.        He has not a relation or a friend who can support him. (not "nor")
3.        He does not have a relation or a friend who can support him. (not "nor")
4.        I never lived there or even went there before. (not "nor")
No "not" with "until" and "unless"
We should not add "not" with these, as these are already negative.
1.        I shall wait until you come. (Not "until you do not come")
2.        I shall fail unless you help me. (Not "unless you do not help me")
Use "or not" after "whether" and "if"
1.        I do not know whether (or if) he has gone or not.
2.        I doubt whether he will help me or not.
3.        Whether he will help me or not is doubtful.


••



Common errors
The correct form
Why? (The theory)
1
I doubt as to whether he
I doubt whether he will
Do not use"as to" before"whether".

will help me or not.
help me or not.

2
I do not know as to whether
I do not know whether

he is honest or not
he is honest or not

3
I do not doubt whether he
I do not doubt that he
If a negative or an interrogative

will help me or not.
will   help me.
sentence has to be made with



"doubt" or "doubtful", we should use
the conjunction "that" in place of
4
Is it not doubtful whether
Is it not doubtful that

he will help you or not?
he will   help you?
"whether ... or not".
5
The reason why he failed is
The reason why he failed
When sentences begin with "The

because he did not study
is that he did not study
reason is" or"The reason why"the

seriously.
seriously,
clause coming after should be



connected with the conjunction



"that" and not with "because", "due



to" or "owing to".
6
The sun will set before you
The sun will set before
When "before" is used as a

will reach.
you reach.
conjunction, it points to some future
event or statement, but future tense
7
He will retire before a
He will retire before a

month will have passed.
month has passed.
is not used with it, even if its



principal clause is in the future tense.
8
He will return after the train
He will   return after the
The clause following "after" is usually

leaves,
train has left.
in the present perfect tense (not in



simple present).
9
He behaved as if he is the
He behaved as if he
"As if" and "as though" are

king.
were the king.
imaginary or conditional



expressions. These use past
conditional tense after them, not
10
He danced with joy as
He danced with joy as

though he will win the first
though he had won the
present or future tense.

prize,
first   prize.



Because vs. in order that
We use "because" to show reason and "in order that" to show purpose.
1. He failed because he did not work hard.
2. He worked hard in order that he may secure first division.
Since then and ever since
When "since" is used as a conjunction, the verb before it should be in the present perfect tense and the verb after it in past indefinite tense.
1.      Many new developments have taken place since I left home.
2.    I have never seen him since his father died.
Because, for or since
All these three words show cause or reason. The difference is in the force — "because" has the greatest force in it, "for" has the least and "since" falls between the two.
1. I must go because my mother is ill.                           2.      He could not catch up since he was lazy.
3.      He cannot be trusted for he takes everything casually.
This is about "that"
Only in indirect narration
As a conjunction "that" is used only in indirect narration, not in direct narration.
Incorrect: He said that "I am ill."                                Correct: He said that he was ill.
Restricted use
"That" as conjunction is not used in interrogative, imperative, optative or exclamatory clauses, whether the whole sentence is in the direct or indirect narration.
1.          Incorrect: He asked me that why I was late.
2.        Incorrect: He asked me that "Why are you late?"
3.          Incorrect: He said to the servant that "Bring me a glass of water."
4.          Incorrect: He said that how beautiful was the scene!
5.        Incorrect: He said that may God bless you!
Not with interrogative pronouns and adverbs
"That" as a conjunction is not used in clauses beginning with interrogative pronouns (which, who, what, etc.) or interrogative adverbs (where, why, when, how, etc.).
1. Incorrect: He asked that what the time was?        2.   Incorrect: He asked that who he was?
3. Incorrect: I do not know that when he will come?    4.         Incorrect: He does not know that where he is?
Note: But if the principal clause comes after the clauses beginning with interrogative pronouns or
interrogative adverbs, the conjunction "that" will be used.                                                             
1.     I promise that when I come next I will bring your book.                                                     In this sentence the use :'that before when is correct because the principal clause '7 will bring
your book" comes after the clause beginning with when.
2.        I know that what he says is not true.


Hidden "that"
There are some verbs (believe, think, hope, presume, suppose, and be afraid) after which "that" is concealed or understood. In the following sentences, ? indicates where "that" is hidden or understood.
        1.    I believe ? he is right.                                           2.     I hope ? he is now well.
        3.    I am afraid ? he is wrong.


Conditional or supposition sentences
Simple future tense
1.      If you start early, you will reach in time. [present simple + future simple]
2.      If you are honest, you will be respected. [present simple + future simple]
Simple past tense
1.     If he built two houses, he would give you one. (past simple + would)
2.     If I secured first position, he would give me a golden watch. (past simple + would)
3.     If you discovered the treasure, you would get your share. (past simple + would)
Past perfect tense


1.        If I had built two houses, I would have given you one. (had + would have)
2.        If I had secured first position, he would have given me a golden watch. (had + would have)
3.        If you had discovered the treasure, you would have got your share. (had + would have)
Note—These sentences can also begin with "Had" in place of "If".
"Such ... as" vs. "such ... that"
"Such ... as" is used to denote a category whereas "such that" emphasises the degree of something by mentioning its consequence.
1.      Incorrect: Each member of the alliance agrees to take such action that it deems necessary.
Here "it deems necessary" is not a consequence of "such action': The sentence wants to imply that the action belongs to the category. "as it deems necessary' In other words, what kind of action? Such action as it deems necessary.
Correct: Each member of the alliance agrees to take such action as it deems necessary.
2.      Incorrect: She looked at him in such distress as he had to look away.
Here, "he had to look away" is a consequence of "she looked at him in such distress. "In other words, the degree of the distress of looking at him was such (so great) that he had to look away.
Correct: She looked at him in such distress that he had to look away.
But after "nothing else"
"Nothing else' should be followed by "but" and not by "than".
1. Incorrect: Mr Bureaucrat! This is nothing else than red-tapism.
Correct: Mr Bureaucrat! This is nothing else but red-tapism.


Incorrect
Correct
Scarcely had he arrived than he had to
Scarcely had he arrived when he had to
leave again,
leave again.
No sooner had we reached the station when
No sooner had we reached the station than
the train   left.
the train left.
The national network seldom or ever
The national network seldom or never
telecasts good programmes.
telecasts good programmes.

OR

The national network seldom, if ever,

telecasts good programmes.
He neither •agreed to my proposal nor to
He agreed neither to my proposal nor to
his.
his.
The phone neither went dead or worked
The phone neither went dead nor worked
properly,
Properly.       y.
He said that, "It is none of my business."
He said, "It is none of my business."
He asked me that where I stayed.
He asked me where I stayed.
Although Manohar is hardworking, but he
Although Manohar is hardworking, yet he
does not get a job.
does not get a job.
Not only the students but also the teacher
Not only the students but also the teacher
were responsible for what happened in the
was responsible for what happened in the
class.
class.

Exercise
Correct the following sentences.
1.      It is nothing else than a trick being played upon you.
2.      He has no other business but to play with computers.
3.      India seldom or ever wins a medal at the Olympics.
4.      I don't know whether Ramakant is equally good as Vijay.
5.      I have not only looked after my children but also my sister's.
6.      Both he and as well as I footed the bill.
7.      He has no choice than to start his own business.
8.      It is nothing else than a wicked desire.
9.      She asked me that I could answer her question.
10.    He does not interfere without he is compelled.
11.    It isdifficult to know whether you have been selected.
12.    I am interested in such books which are interesting.
13.    Such was his pronunciation, as I could not understand him.
14.    Most of the girls are doing their post-graduation because they may get good husbands.
15.    He treats us as slaves.
16.    Although they listen to me, but their actions prove otherwise.


1.  It is nothing else but a trick being played upon you.
2.       He has no other business than playing with computers.
3.       India seldom or never wins a medal at the Olympics.
4.       I don't know whether Ramakant is as good as Vijay.
5.       1 have looked after not only my children but also my sister's.
6.       Both he and I footed the bill.
7.       He has no choice but to start his own business.
8.       It is nothing else but a wicked desire.
9.       She asked me whether I could answer her question.
10.      He does not interfere without being compelled. Also correct: He does not interfere unless he is compelled.

The sentence is correct.
Whether itself means if .... or not. So, you need not add the words or not at the end of the sentence. However, for the sake of emphasis, or not is sometimes added.
I am interested in such books as are interesting.
Such was his pronunciation that I could not understand him.
Most of the girls are doing their post-graduation so that they may get good husbands.
He treats us like slaves.
Although they listen to me, yet their actions prove otherwise.



No comments:

Post a Comment