Friday, 18 December 2015

Phrasal Word Part III


Phrasal Word Part III

LOOK
•
His uncle looks after (takes care of) him.

•
He looks down upon (despises) his poor cousins.

•
Look up (search for) the word in the dictionary.

•
The old man is looking forward to (expecting with pleasure) the visit of his grandchildren.


•
I will look into (investigate) the matter.

•
.I look on (regard) him as my son.

•
Some look to (rely on) legislation to hasten the progress of social reforms.


•
Look to (be careful about) your manners.

•
Prices of piece goods are looking up (rising).

•
Things are looking up (improving).

•
His friends look up to (respect) him.

•
He will not look at (i.e. will reject) your offer.



MAKE

Contentment makes for (conduces to) happiness.

•
He made over (presented, gave in charity) his bungalow to the Islam Orphanage.

•
I cannot make out (discover) the meaning of this verse.

•
I cannot make out (read, decipher) his handwriting.

•
You have failed to make out (prove) your case.

•
Some time ago the two brothers quarrelled but they have now made it up (become reconciled).



PASS
•
He generally passed by (overlooked) the faults of his subordinates.

•
The crew of the boat passed through (underwent) terrible sufferings.

•
He passes for (is regarded as) a great Sanskritist.



PICK
•
The Committee picked out (selected) the best players for the

team.
•
He lost twenty pounds in sickness but is now picking up

(regaining or recovering health).


PULL
•
Unless we pull together (co-operate, work together in harmony) we cannot succeed.

•
My cousin pulled through (passed with difficulty) the examination.

•
The doctor says the patient will pull through (recover from his illness).

•
It is far easier to pull down (demolish) than to build up..

•
He was pulled up (scolded, rebuked) by the President.



PUT
•
He puts on (assumes) an air of dignity.

•
Please put out (extinguish) the light.

•
He was put out (vexed, annoyed) when I refused his request for a loan.

n
The plaintiff was put out (disconcerted) when the suit was dismissed.

•
He tried to put me off (evade me, satisfy me) with promises.

•
He has put in (made, sent in) a claim for compensation,



While travelling I had to put up with (endure) a good,deal of discomfort.

•
I cannot put up with (tolerate) his insolence.

•
They put him up to (incited him to) mischief.

•
I am sorry to put you to (give you) so much trouble.

•
He put off (postponed) his departure for a week.


The measure was put through (passed) without opposition.




RUN
n
On account of overwork he is run down (enfeebled).

•
He always runs down (disparages) his rivals.

•
The lease of our premises has run out (expired, come to an end).

n
He has run through (squandered away) his fortune.

•
The tailor's bill has run up to (amounted to) a large amount.

•
He has run into (incurred) debt.

n
While turning the corner I ran against (chanced to meet) an old friend.

•
Recently my expenses have run up (increased) considerably.

n
The cistern is running over (overflowing).




SEE
•
I saw through (detected) the trick.

•
It is hard to see into (discern) his motive.

His friends were present at the station to see him off (witness his departure).





SET
n
The High Court set aside (annulled) the decree of the lower court.

n
He immediately set about (took steps towards) organizing the department.

•
He set off (started) for Peshawar early this morning.

n
The frame sets off the picture (i.e., enhances its beauty by contrast).

•
He has set up (started business) as a banker.


I have enough capital to set me up (establish myself) in trade.

He hired a palatial bungalow and set up for (pretended to be) a millionaire.




•
I was obliged to set him down (snub him).

•
You may set down (charge) this loss to me.

•
Who set you on (instigated you) to do it.

•
These seats are set apart (reserved) for ladies.

•
In his speech on prohibition, he set forth (explained, made

known his views) at length.

•
The robbers set upon (attacked) the defenceless travellers.

n
Winter in England sets in (begins) about December.




SPEAK
n
In Bombay there is no free library to speak of (worth mentioning).

n
I was determined to speak out (express my opinion freely).



STAND


They are determined to stand up for (vindicate, maintain) their rights.

n
Let this matter' stand over (be deferred or postponed) •for

the present.






No comments:

Post a Comment