Sunday 20 December 2015

Verbs

Verbs
A verb is a word or phrase that describes an action, condition or experience.
This should be easy, right? All right, let us check you out.
Read the following paragraph and pick the right verb from the brackets.
Harshad, along with his brother Ketan, (plan, plans) to surprise their mother for her birthday. She is usually so tired after work that she has to (lay, lie) down and rest for half an hour before making dinner. What the boys have in mind (was, is) a home-cooked meal of their own. °Where (are, is) the set of wine glasses?" (ask, asks) Harshad. "Most of the glasses (are,
is) in the box, but one is (broke, broken)." After (making, to make) burgers and baked potatoes, they call their mother. She is astonished. "I wish Daddy (was, were) in town to see what a beautiful job you've done!" Neither the boys nor their mother (try, tries) to hide their delight when they bring out the dessert. The dessert (are, is) ice cream sundaes.
Did you pick these verbs?
Plans, lie, is, is, asks, are, broken, making, were, tries, is.
If you did, well, you can smile. You seem to know your verbs.


           WATCH OUT





Common errors
The correct form
Why? (The theory)
1
I have come yesterday.
came yesterday.
The sentences mix up past and present
tenses. In these cases, the verb should be
in the sirrple past tense.
2
He has left a few minutes ago.
He left a few minutes ago.
3
He has met me last winter.
He met me last winter,
4
had come just now.
I have come just now.
The use of "just now" is correct only in



5
He was leaving just now.
He has left just now.
the present perfect tense.
6
He has already went home.
He has already gone home.
The following adverbs of time are always



used with the present perfect tense, not



with the simple past tense: Already, yet,



7
You did not do any work so far.
You have not done any work so far.
since, until now, so far.
8
The train left before I had reached
The train had left before I reached
Here, there are two actions occurring at

the station.
the station.
two points of time in the past. The action in the near past is written simple past




The  patient died  before the doctor
The patient had died before the doctor
tense  and that  occurring in          the distant
9
reached.
reached.
past, in past perfect tense.







When   two    things   happen   (almost)
10
He had came and I went.
He came and I went.
simultaneously, then past simple tense is



used for both of them.

Have any cause for "has" or "had"?
"Have", "has" and "had" are simple chaps but can get quite mischievous if you are not watchful. Let us get to know them better.
In some sentences, the subject does not act himself but behaves like the boss — he gets the work done by others. Such sentence! are constructed as below with the help of have, has or had, used as causative verbs. Here are some examples:

1.
had him punished for his fault.
2.
He had a house built.
3.
I have my essays corrected by my teachers.
4.
shall have my letter typed.
5.
They can have their furniture repaired.
6.
got him punished.
7.
shall get my essay corrected.
8.
He gets his furniture repaired every year.
9.
am getting my house whitewashed.
10.
He made him run away.
11.
got him dismissed.
12.
He had the orders passed.




When have gives, takes or does!
When "have" means give, take or do, it can be used in the present continuous tense also.
1.      We are having a party today.                              
2.     They are having very difficult times these days.

But we should not write sentences like the following:

         1.    Incorrect: I am having a book.                         
         2.     Incorrect: She is having a small baby.
         3.    Incorrect: This book is having six chapters.
Have some hope!
There are some verbs that, if used in past perfect tense, would indicate action left incomplete. These verbs express hope, wish, desire and imagination. Examples: Wish, hope, want, expect, intend, suppose, think. Also remember that an infinitive is used after the past perfect form of these verbs.
1.        I had expected to find him here. (But could not find him here.)
2.        She had hoped to pass in the first division. (But could not)
3.        I had wished to buy a new car. (But could not)
Perfect infinitives can also be used in place of simple infinitives:
         1.    I had expected to have found him here.               
         2.     She had hoped to have passed in the first division.
         3.    I had wished to have bought a new car.

Had a good time?
As a main verb, had means possess, experience etc. Had is the past tense of have.
For example, "I had a good time" means "I experienced a good time."
This is one sentence that continues to confuse students:
have had a good time.
Is this right? Have and had together? Past tense and present tense as neighbours?

Well, we need not get confused because we know "have" is both a main and an auxiliary verb. "Had" is the main verb meaning "experienced". "Have" is the auxiliary used for making perfect tense. Let us rewrite the above sentence.
I have experienced a good time.
Ha! Now it is not so bad, is it?
Sometimes have had, has had or had had are used together. Do not get spooked if you see sentences like the following:
         1.    I have had my breakfast.                                      
         2.    She has had her breakfast.
         3.    She had had her breakfast very early.                   
         4.    He will have had his breakfast by now.
Have an obligation
1.     have to go to office.                                                                                                          
              
Now, that is an obligation, plain and simple. Come what may, I better go.
Suppose I do not have to go to office. How can we turn this obligation around into a negative? Here are two ways:
1.     I haven't to go to office today.               
2.     I don't have to go to office on a holid

Had I ...
Sometimes "had" is used to express condition, wish or imagination.
           1.     Had I been a king!                                                                   
           2.     Had I seen the Olympic games!
           3.     Had I won a lottery!                                                                 
           4.     He behaved as if he had been my master.
You have been a "has-been"?

These sentences show that some action started in the past and also ended in the past, and is not continuing in the present.
1.   I have been a Professor. (I am not a Professor now.)
2.   I have been to England. (I am not there now.)
3.   He has been a sportsman. (Now he is not.)
4.   He is a bit of a has-been. (Do you think you are praising him when you say this? Why?)

When "do" does it better!
Special effect
It sometimes happens that we want to change the order of words to gain some particular effect. The use of do then comes handy.
1.        He knows little of the harm being caused to him.
2.        Little does he knowof the harm being caused to him.
Don't you think there is a little more drama in the second version of the sentence?
To avoid repetition

1.       Repetitive: He sings well and she sings well
To add emphasis
1.       Normal: You made a mistake.
To make a request or invitation more persuasive
1.       Normal: Come to the party.
Not "has gone"

Sometimes "Go" is used in the sense of "Lose". In that case we should write is gone or was gone, or is lost or was lost, not has or had gone or lost.

   1.     Incorrect: My suitcase has lost.
  3.     Incorrect: My suitcase has gone in the train
   2.     Correct: My suitcase is lost.
  4.     Correct: My suitcase was gone in the train.

Ought to do
Ought to is used to express moral obligation, desirability or strong probability. Remember that ought is always followed by an infinitive with to.
          1.     We ought to serve our fellowmen. (Moral obligation) 
           2.     You ought to get married now. (Desirability)
          3.     It ought to rain. (Strong probability)
Would you please? Habitual action: Would is used to express habitual action in the past. Here, would takes the place of used to. For example, She would teach the children every day.

Express a condition
1.             She would be killed if she goes. (Future) (There is some possibility of her going.)
2.             She would be killed if she went. (Future) - (There is no possibility of her going.)
3.             She would have been killed if she had gone. (Past) - (She didn't go.)
Polite request: Would you lend me your pen?
Probability: The match would be over by now.
Strong desire: I wish would be at home now.
Need you dare?

These are four words we use regularly. These are also the words we are likely to misuse. Meet need, needn't, dare and daren't in their various forms.

1.    I need a pen.
3.    He needs a pen.
5.    I don't need a pen.
7.     He need not fear me.
9.He need hardly take my help.
11. Need he go there?
13. Do I need to go with him?
15. Did you need to behave like this? 17. He needn't go there.
19. He needn't have gone there. (unnecessary) 21. He dares me to climb to the peak.
23. They dare me to move this boulder.
 25. I dare not stand before you.
27. He dare hardly speak before me.
29. Dare he repeat the mistake?
31. Did he dare to argue with you?
33. He daren't come before me.
35. He daren't have gone alone in the deep wood
2.    You/they need a pen.
4.    I/you/he/they needed a pen.
6.    She doesn't need a pen.
8.     He need never fear me.
10.   He need scarcely demand any more help.
12.   Need he try again?
14. Does he need to go with you? 16.  You needn't work so hard. 18.  They needn't go there.
20. He needn't have behaved like this.(improper) 22. I dare you to compete with me.
 24. He dare not fight with me.
26. They dare not question my integrity.
28. Dare he speak before you?
30. Does he dare to challenge you? 32. Do I dare to stand before him? 34. I daren't go there alone.
36. You daren't have challenged him like this.

When a question tags along!
Question tags are part of normal conversations. But do you get it right every time? You should check it out, shouldn't you?

        1.    You love me, don't you?
        3.    You don't love me, do you?
        5.    He is a good man, isn't he?
        7.    He doesn't work hard, does he?
  9.    He rarely comes here, does he?
11. No one will come, will he/will they? 13. All of us will go, won't we?
15. All of you can do it, can't you?
17. All of them were present, weren't they?
19.    Everything is lost, isn't it?
 21. I am only a student, aren't I?
 23. There is no good college, is there? 25. I need a book, don't I?
27. He used to live here, didn't he?
29.    Don't ring the bell, will you?
31. Let us form a society, shall we? 33. Let her take the book, will you?

  2.    Let us now play, shall we?
  4.    Don't go there, will you?
  6.    He is not a good man, is he?
  8.    He works hard, doesn't he?
10. Few people are interested in this scheme, are they? 12. Any one can come, can't he / can't they?
14. None of us has done it, have we? 16. None of you can do it, can you?
18. None of them were present, were they?
20.    Nothing is lost, is it?
22. I am not a student, am I?
24. There is a good college, isn't there? 26. He needs a book, doesn't he?
28. Ring the bell, will you?
30. Let us now go for dinner, shall we? 32. Let them read here, will you?

More about LAY and LIE
The verbs to lay and to lie are probably the two most confusing verbs in English. Because they are so widely used they are worth paying a little extra attention to.
Present
Past
Past
Present
                             Stem   
Tense
Participle
Participle
lay
laid
laid
laying
lie (down) 
lay
lain
lying
lie (untruth)
lied
lied
lying
To “play" means to put or place something down. It always takes an object. If you can use the verb put in your sentence you need a form of the verb lay.






1.        I usually lay the keys on the table.
2.        Yesterday I laid the book on the table.
3.        I had just laid the book on the table when the phone rang.
4.        I'm laying the book on the table.
To "lie" means to rest, relax, or place oneself in a horizontal position. It does not take an object. If you can use the verb recline in your sentence, you need a form of the verb to lie.
1.        lie on the floor for fifteen minutes every afternoon.
2.        Yesterday I lay on the floor for fifteen minutes.
3.        I have lain on the floor for fifteen minutes every afternoon as long as I can remember.
4.        I'm lying on the floor for fifteen minutes (so don't bother me).






Common errors
The correct form
Why? (The theory)
1
I bid him to quit the
I bid him quit the
The infinitive is used without

organisation.
organisation.
"to" after verbs like help,
watch,  bid, dare, hear, let,
2
You need not to worry
You need not worry about

about us.
us.
make, need and see.
3
She heard her to weep.
She heard her weep.
4
I agree for helping you out
I agree to help you out in
The following verbs are

in trouble.
trouble.
followed by the infinitive:



Agree, arrange, attempt,



care, cease, consent, decide,



determine, endeavour, fall,



forget, hesitate, hope, learn,



manage, neglect, prepare,



promise, propose, refuse,



regret, remember, seem,



swear, undertake.
5
There is not alternative but
There is no alternative but
Prepositions "but" and

to help him out.
help him out.
"except" take the infinitive



without "to".
6
I would rather to go for
I would rather go for
Expressions "would rather,

batting.
batting.
would sooner, rather than,



sooner than and had better"



are followed by infinitive



without "to".
7
He heard the lion roared.
He heard the lion roaring.
Verbs of sensation like hear,
listen,  look, observe,
8
The teacher caught the
The teacher caught the

students napped.
students napping.
perceive, see and smell, and



verbs like catch, keep, leave



and start are followed by a



noun/pronoun + present



participle
9
I like my food boiling.
I like my food boiled.
The following verbs are



followed by a



noun/pronoun + past



participle



Get (causative), have



(causative), like, make,



prefer, wish, want, etc.
10
He flew for
He flew for London at 8
A present participle should

London at 8
a.m., and arrived there
not be used to express an

a.m.,                           
twelve hours later.
action that is not occurring

arriving                 

at the same time as that of

there twelve                

the action of the principal

hours later.                   

verb.


Now you know why that sentence about flying to London is wrong. What about this sentence?
Kumble bowled extremely well, conceding only eight runs in his last four overs.
Can we apply the "London" logic to this sentence and say that Kumble is wrong? Actually, this sentence is correct.
Why is London wrong and Kumble right (apart from the fact that he is the first Indian to reach the 500 Test Match Wickets)?

Here we have two parts: Kumble bowled extremely well. He conceded only eight runs in his last four overs. Now, both these actions are happening together. He is conceding runs while he is bowlingWhereas our London-bound friend was trying the impossible task of starting for London and arriving there at the same time.






Common errors
The correct form
Why? (The theory)
1
Avoid to overwrite as much
Avoid overwriting as
The following verbs

aspossible.
much as possible.
are followed by a
gerund (ing):






Avoid, detest, dislike,



enjoy, can't help (in the



sense of avoid), keep (in



the sense of continue),



mind, prevent, risk,
2
I am accustomed to teach
I am accustomed to
stop, accustomed to, fed

students.
teaching students.
up with, habituated to,



is not good, is no use,                 is



used to, looking forward



to, tired of, tired with,



with a view to and is



worth.



Be is used in the past

They were to be married
They were to have been
tense with the perfect
3
last month but had to
married last month but
infinitive to indicate an

postpone the wedding until
had to postpone the
arrangement that was

next month.
wedding until next month.
"made" but not "carried



out".
4
I am sorry for being late.
I am sorry for my being



late.
The noun or pronoun
coming before a gerund
5
Nobody can prevent me
Nobody can prevent my

going there.
goingthere.
must be used in
possessive case.

It depends upon your
It depends upon you
6
understanding the situation.
understanding the



situation.

7
There is a chance of the
There is a chance of the
If the noun coming

milk's turning sour.
milk turning sour.
before the gerund is a
lifeless thing, it should

There is danger of the
There is danger of the roof
8
roof's falling      in rains,
falling   in  rains,
not be used in the



possessive  case.
9
I avoid to go there.
I avoid going there.
After the following verbs
only a gerund should be






used (not an infinitive):



Feel, mind, avoid,



consider, enjoy, excuse,
10



finish, miss, can't help,

We just missed to catch the train.
We just missed catching the train.
look forward, to give up,



go on, it is no good and



it is  no use.


Drunken driver drank more!
There are some past participles which are used as pure adjectives, and not as the past participle form of verbs. They are—drunken, molten, bounden, cloven, graven, stricken, shrunken, sunken and shorn. They can qualify only a noun, as: a drunken driver, molten lava, bounden duty, cloven foot, graven image, stricken heart, shrunken face, sunken ship and shorn sheep. The normal past participle forms of these are: Drunk, melted, bound, clove, graved, struck, shrunk, sunk and sheared.
To "to" or not to "to"?

Infinitive without "to"
The infinitive is used without "to" after these verbs: hear, see, feel, make, let, bid, watch, behold, know, notice, observe, need and dare not.
He bade me go. (not to go)                            We shall watch him dance. (not to dance)
Let him sing. (not to sing)                              Make him work. (not to work)
Behold/see/observe him play. (not to play)           My teacher helped me learn tables fast. (not to help)

But if the verbs listed above are used passively, they will take the infinitive with•"to".
             1.     He was made to do it.                                                            
            2.     He was known to have hidden the treasure.
             3.     He was bidden to go.                                                             
             4.     He was seen to be crossing the river.
Infinitives do not take "to" after these expressions: had better, had rather, would sooner, would rather, sooner than, rather than and had sooner.
             1.     He had better resign.                                                           
             2.       He would rather withdraw.
             3.     would sooner resign than serve in these conditions. 
             4.      I would study rather than waste my time.

"To" is not used with the infinitive after the conjunction "than": He is better able to write than speak.
"To" is not used with the infinitive after the preposition "but", provided that but has "do" verb before it.
1.       She can do nothing but weep.                                           
2.       We did nothing but play.

If "have" or "has" or "had" has a noun or a pronoun after it, the infinitive following will not have "to" with it.


No "to"

With "to"
1.
I will have you remember me.
1.
There is no book to read.
2.
He had him know his fault.
2.
I have no time to waste.
3.
He will have me forget my insult.
3.
He is not a man to be respected.
4.
I saw him dance.
4.
I have a horse to sell.
5.
I bid you go.
5.
This book is good to read.
6.
I will have you accept your fault.
6.
Mangoes are sweet to eat.


7.
I am eager to go.


8.
The weather is pleasant to enjoy.
In such sentences, the infinitive is used only in active voice, not in passive voice.


Incorrect

Correct
1.
The problem is easy to be solved.
1.
The problem is easy to solve.
2.
He has a horse to be sold.
2.
He has a horse to sell.
3.
I have a house to be furnished.
3.
I have a house to furnish.
4.
'He is hard to be pleased.
4.
He is hard to please.
5.
These      mangoes     are     sweet     to     be
5.
These mangoes are sweet to eat.

eaten.
6.
He is to blame.
6.
He is to be blamed.
7.
Tea is easy to prepare.
7.
Tea is easy to be prepared.
8.
He has a point to make.
8.
He has a point to be made.


But, in the following cases, the passive voice is followed by "to":
1.        [Correct]: It was not to be found. (Possibility)
2.        [Correct]: The man said, "If I were to give birth to a child, I would bear it in my womb for a year." (Hypothesis)
Some verbs when joined with an infinitive show the occurrence of an action. They also carry the sense of sudden occurrence of the action concerned. These verbs are: happen, seem, chance and appear.
1. I happened to see a snake.                                                       2.       He seemed to have forgotten me.
3.        chanced to meet him in the market.                               4.       He appeared to recognise me.

Model use of modals
A modal is a verb (like "can", "might" and "must") used with another verb to express an idea or possibility that is not expressed by the main verb of the sentence. You make use of modals everyday. Study the following sentences:

1.      May I come in, sir?
2.      May I sit on this chair?
3.      You may come in. (Permission)
4.      You may sit on this chair. (Permission)
5.      It may rain. (Possibility)
6.      He may be late. (Doubt)
7.      It might rain. (Very little possibility)
8.      He might come today.
9.      He might pass.
10.    He might change his mind.
11.   Might I use your pen, please?
12.   Might I borrow your pen for an hour?
13.   Might I go now?
14.    You might go now.
15.   May you live long! (Wish)
16.   May God help you! (Wish)
17.    I came so early that I may find you at home. (Purpose)
18.    Work hard so that you may pass. (Purpose)
19.    He may have submitted his application.
20.    He may have given him some help.
21.    The robber might have killed him. (He escaped being killed.)
22.    He might have robbed me.
23.    The thief might have escaped from the police custody.
24.    He said, "My father may come today."
25.    He said that his father might come that day.
26.    You might pay a little more attention to your studies. (Dissatisfaction)
27.    You might come a little earlier. (Expectation - a little negative)
28.   Could you lend me your pen?
29.   Could you give me a lift by your car?
30.    He asked me, "Can you help me?"
31.    He asked me if I could help him.
32.    He said, "I cannot go there."
33.    He said that he could not go there.
34.    He could have passed the examination. (But he did not.)
35.    You could have reached in time. (But did not.)
36.    He could have avoided the accident.
37.   Shall I lock the gate? (i.e. Do I have your permission to lock the gate?)
38.   Shall I bring my father tomorrow? (i.e. Do I have your permission to bring my father tomorrow?)
39.   Shall he be allowed to go? (i.e. Does he have your permission to go?)

40.   Will you have tea with me?
41.   Will you lend me your pen for a minute?
42.   Will you not support me?
43.   Would you have tea with me?
44.   Wouldn't/won't you have tea with me?
45.   Would you mind having tea with me? (Remember that "would" shows more courtesy.)
46.    He will only talk about his sons. (Habit)
47.    He will play upon his guitar till midnight. (Habit)
48.    The train will have crossed Allahabad.
49.    He will have left the office by now.
50.    If he had worked a little harder, he would have secured first division.
51.    Had he come a few days earlier, he would have seen his mother.
52.    He would often spend his evenings in the club.
53.    He would often go for swimming. (Used to)
54.   I would rather remain at home. (Used to)
55.   I would rather break than bend.
56.   I would sooner give up my claim.
57.   Should you come in time, I would give you a prize. (If)
58.   Should I seek his help, he would certainly help me. (If)
59.   I would like to know your future plan.
60.    He would like to know your future plan.
61.    would prefer to travel by bus.
62.    He would be glad to meet you.
63.   I would be inclined to go with you.
64.   I wish you would not refuse me.
65.   I wish you would study science. Note-After "wish" wE do not use "will".
66.    You must come to office at 10 o'clock.
67.    You mustn't jump out from a moving train.
68.    This book must be very popular.
69.    We must love our country.
70.    We must be kind to the poor.
71.    You must drive cautiously.
72.    You must avoid strong drinks.
73.    He laboured very hard. He must have secured first division
74.    He started very early. He must have caught the train.
75.    He talks very proudly. He must be an arrogant person.
76.    He spoke very fluently. He must have been an orator.

DESSERTS: YUM-YUM!
A few transitive verbs like eat, read, smell, taste etc, even in an activity form, are sometimes used in a passive sense.
Incorrect: The mangoes are tasted sour.
It is true that the mangoes are tasted. Mangoes do not taste. Yet the above sentence would imply that The mangoes are tasted when they are sour. Like "Some vegetables are eaten raw." means "Some vegetables are eaten in their raw state orwhen they are raw.") But common knowledge tells us that people in general prefer sweet mangoes. What the writer intends is the meaning The mangoes are sour when tasted. This comes out in the following sentence.
Correct: The mangoes taste sour.
Incorrect: This fruit is smelt sweet.
This would mean that this fruit is smelt when it is sweet. Do you know of any such fruit bound by such convention? What the writer intends to say is that this fruit is sweet when smelt, So,
Correct: This fruit smells sweet.
Exercise
Let's check your command of verbs. Pick the right form of the verb from the brackets.
1.      I (lay, laid) the baby in his crib half an hour ago.
2.      I have been (lying, laying) down too much lately.
3.      He had just (lain, laid) his head on the desk for ten minutes.
4.      Either of the two professors (make, makes) a good mentor in physics.
5.      Neither the stallion nor the two mares (likes, like) being saddled.
6.      In our college, economics (attract, attracts) more students than ever.
7.      Yesterday, without warning, one of the pipes in the building (burst, bursted).
8.      Esha, along with her cousin, (organise, organises) the music festival every year.
9.      He (wrote, had written) his wife a letter once a week, whether he was on the road or at home.
Answers

1. laid 2. lying 3. laid 4. makes 5. like 6. attracts 7. burst 8. organises 9. wrote.

No comments:

Post a Comment