Saturday 19 December 2015

Pronoun Errors

Pronoun Errors
Welcome to the most difficult and most annoying errors in Grammar. There are three kinds of errors in pronouns:
1. Pronoun case (You may never get it right while speaking)
2.. Pronoun-antecedent agreement (often eludes our attention)
3. Pronoun reference (gives rise to politically incorrect and sexist language).

The problem with pronoun errors is that there is a vast difference between "pure grammar" and "current usage", This is one of the most favourite areas on the CAT.
I often wonder how to introduce yourself? "Myself Gaurav?" or "Me Gaurav" or "I am Gaurav"? Should I say: "It is I" or "It is me"? Should I say: "The book which is on the table" or "The book that is on the table"? Should ,I say: "You and I did it" or "I and you did it"? Should I say: "Between you and I/he did it" or "Between you and me/he did it"?/etc.
Do you think you can outsmart the CAT-setter? Here is a check to flex your muscles at pronoun errors. Pick the right option in the following sentences.


1.          Fred whispered to his wife/"Let's keep this a secret between you and (I/me)."
2.          (We/Us) students began our adventure at dawn.
3.          Charlene and (I/myself) are handling all the renovations.
4.          He is one of those doctors (who/whom) others frequently ask for advice.
5.          He and I are both hearty eaters/but he can eat more than (I/me).
6.          Each of the books is in (its/their) proper place on the shelves.
7.          Dinesh gave a party for Binod and (I/me).
8.          The victim of the practical joke turned out to be (I/me).
9.          We objected to (him/his) taking all the credit.
10.       (We/Us) managers must assume a leadership role.
11.       He and (myself/I) are cousins.
12.       The play could never have been produced without (he and I/him and me).
13.       One has to work hard to build up (his/one's) muscles.
14.       What can we do to stop (them/their) worrying about us?
15.       The defeat did not hurt him so much as (they/them).
16.       They notified everyone except Margie and (she/her).
17.       For (who/whom) was the gift intended?
18.       Derek is going to the game with (she/her) and (I/me).
19.       The two boys/Larry and (he/him)/are sleeping.
20.       Daisy saw the two boys/Larry and (he/him).
21.       She is funnier than (he/him).
22.       She is taller than (I/me).
23.       Do you like Professor Danto more than (me/I)?
24.       The teacher and (I/me/myself) organised a reading of the play.
25.       The caterers left the decision up to Nicholas and (she/her/herself).
26.       (Myself/I myself) supervised the renovation.
27.       This was a task best handled by (us/we/ourselves).
28.       Bill and (I/me) went to the movie.
29.       (She/Her) and I went to the movies.
30.       Tami met Spencer and (I/me) at the movie.
31.       It was (I/me).
32.       It is (we/us).
33.       That can't be (she/her).
34.       It might have been (they/them).
35.       When the bell rings/it will be (he/him).
36.       Who's going to be the new team captain? I would like it to be (I/me).
37.       With my luck/the boss will turn out to be (him/he).
38.       The boy (who/whom) she met lives nearby.
39.          If I had known (who/whom) she was/I would have introduced myself.


40.      She resents (his/him) playing basketball all day.
41.      He had no patience for (their/them) whining about homework.
42.      Our parents were proud of (our/us) running in the marathon.
43.      Here is a gift from (I/me).
44.      You can go with (she/her).
45.      Sit quietly beside (he/him) on that bench.
Solutions
1.
me
2.
We
3.
I                               4.      whom
5.
I
6.
its
7.
me                            8.      me
9.
his
10.
We
11.
I                                12..   him and me
13.
one's
14.
their
15.
them                          16.    her
17.
whom
18.
her and me
19.
he                              20.    him
21.
he
22.
I
23.
Both are correct depending upon the meaning.
24.
I
25.
her
26.
I myself                     27.    us
28.
I
29.
She
30.
me                            31.    I
32.
we
33.
she
34.
they                           35.    he
36.
me
37.
him
38.
whom                        39.    who
40.
his
41.
their
• 42.
our                            43.    me
44.
her
45.
him



The rules regarding pronouns involve a lot of grammatical terms that are pretty annoying. So we shall try to limit ourselves to the minimum guidelines that should get you the right answer always.


No objective personal pronoun
1.      It is I (not me) who came yesterday.
2.      It is he (not him) who will help you.
3.      If I were she (not her)/I wouldn't do it.
4.      It is they (not them) who saved us.
Note - It should be remembered that in colloquial use/personal pronoun can be used in the objective form. But this is not allowed in writing. As - It is me! It wasn't him! He is taller than me. This form is considered wrong in written English.
Order
You can use some simple formulae to remember the correct use of pronouns.


>      In singular number/remember 3 + 2 + 1/that is You + He + I.
>      In plural number/it is 2 + 3 + 4/that is/We + You + They.
>      But if the sentence has a bad sense/or is expressive of some error or fault/the order should be thus- I/We + You + He/ They.
The following examples will make this clear.
1.
You/he and I are good friends.
2.     We/you and they can live together.
3.
You and he were classmates.
4.     Ram and I lived in the same house.
5.
You and I can travel together.
6.     We and you and they can work together.
7.
They and we were in the same class.
8.     I/you and he have to accept our fault.
9.
You and he will be punished.


"Each other" Vs. "One another"
Traditionally/"Each other" is used for two and "One another" for more than two. This rule/however is almost outdated.


1. The two brothers help each other.
3. The two wheels rub against each other.

2.     All the five brothers help one another.


After "than" or "as"
The full form of "I am taller than he" will be "I am taller than he is". Therefore/in order to decide/we should mentally speak tl• whole sentence in our mind.



1.
I am stronger than he (is). So don't say "I am stronger than him.'

2.
I am as strong as he (is).

3.
He loves you more than I (love you).

4.
I love you more than he (loves you).

5.
He gave you more marks than (he gave) me.

6.
I shall give you as many books as (I shall give) him.

7.
He and I are both hearty eaters/but he can eat more than (I can).

8.
Dinesh gave a party for Binod and me.

9.
The defeat did not hurt him so much as (it hurt) them.

10.
The two boys/Larry and (he/him)/are sleeping. (Would you say/"he is sleeping" or "him is sleeping"? Ans. he
11.
Daisy saw the two boys/Larry and (he/him).
Ans. Daisy saw him.
12.
She is funnier than (he/him).
She is funnier than he is.
13.
She is taller than (I/me).
She is taller than I am.
14.
Do you like Professor Danto more than (me/I)?

This can be written in two ways both of which are correct:

15.
Do you like Professor Danto more than I like him?
OR
16.
Do you like Professor Danto more than you like me?

17.
The caterers left the decision up to Nicholas and (she/her/herself).
HER
18.
Bill and (I/me) went to the movie.
I
19.
(She/Her) and I went to the movies.
SHE
20.   Tami met Spencer and (I/me) at the movie.                                                           ME
With and without "that"
In some of the statements below/the word "that" has been put in brackets/where it can be removed without changing meaning. But "that" cannot be removed in the other sentences.
1.        I know the house (that) he lives in.
2.        I catch the point (that) you are hinting at.
3.        The picture (that) I saw yesterday was good.
4.        The man (that) you interviewed yesterday has come again.
5.        That is the house (that) I lived in.
6.        That is the man (that) I talked to.
7.        I have not yet read the book (that) you suggested to me.
8.        I have lost the pen (that) you gave me.
9.        Gandhi was the greatest man that modern India produced.
10.      He is the best speaker that I have ever heard.
11.      This is all the statement that he gave.
12.    . He is the same boy that came yesterday.
13.      It is only the fools that talk that way.
14.      There was none that was not moved to tears.
15.      What is it that troubles you so much?
16.      What is there that I cannot do?
17.      Who am I that you should care for?
18.      The rider and his horse that tried to cross the river were drowned.
19.      The driver and his bus that crossed the lane struck against a tree.


"Which" and "that"
It is very important to understand the distinction between which and that.
If the clause you are introducing can be removed without significantly changing the meaning of the sentence/use the non­restrictive "which". You will use a comma to set off the clause beginning with "which".
If you can't remove it without altering the meaning or intent of the sentence/use the restrictive "that". In addition/assuming that you opt for "which"/very likely you will be setting off the clause with a comma or two. You will not use a comma with "that".


Let us look at an example.
    1.       The book/which I returned to the library yesterday/is one of my favourites.
The book is one of your favourites whether or not you returned it to the library. Thus/ the information in the "which" clause is not vital to your meaning.
2.       The book that I want you to read is in the library.
The particular book you are referring to is in the library. The information in the "that" clause is vital to your meaning.
In some cases/it is not so easy to choose between "which" and "that".


1.         The values which were recorded by the instrument were all in normal range (Incorrect).
2.         The values/which were recorded by the instrument/were all in normal range (Correct).
3.         The values that were recorded by the instrument were all in normal range. (Best option)
4.         They those worship money only are deprived of life's other rewards. (Incorrect)
5.         They that worship money only are deprived of life's other rewards. (Correct)
6.         I remember the day which he came. (Incorrect)
7.    I remember the day which he came on. (Correct but clumsy)
8.         I remember the day that he came. (Better)
When "that" is better than "which" or "who"
"That" is preferred to "who" or "which" in the following cases:
1.         After adjectives in the superlative degree
2.         After "all"/"same"/"any"/"none"/"nothing" and "only"
3.         After the interrogative pronouns/"who" and "what"
4.         After the antecedents/one denoting a person and the other an animal or a thing.
Using these rules/let us set right some incorrect sentences on the next page.
Incorrect
Correct
It was the best food which we ever tasted.
It was the best food that we ever tasted.
I did all which I could for him.
I did all that I could for him.
What is there which may not be asked in General
What is there that may not be asked in General
Awareness?
Awareness?
The old man and his stick which are always
The old man and his stick that are always present at
present at the party were conspicuous by their

absence today.
the party were conspicuous by their absence today.
The office was located in the heart of the town
The office, which had state-of-the-art interior
which had state-of-the-art interior

decoration.
decoration, was located in the heart of the town.
He had a cow and which gave him milk.
He had a cow, which gave him milk.
He had a cow, which was brown in colour and
He had a cow, which was brown in colour and
that gave him milk.
which gave him milk.

(The conjunction and has been properly used to join

two clauses beginning with which, both referring to

the cow.




"But"
asa Pronoun

Sometimes "but" is used as a pronoun/in which case it means "who not" or "which not".

1.
There is none but admires you. (but admires = who does not admire)

2.
There is no problem but can be solved. (but can be solved = which cannot be


solved)

3.
There is none but loves his country. (but loves = who does not love)

4.
Incorrect: There is no city but does not have a huge population.


Now/as the rule suggests/but is equivalent to which... not in such sentences.


The above sentence then has a double negative which wrongly suggests that


there is no city which has a huge population. But this is not true. We mean to say that: 
There is no city which does not have a huge population.


 The sentence should be:


Correct: There is no city but has a huge population.


Such as


As is always used after "such"/"the same" or "as".
1. His behaviour was such as was well expected 3. My difficulty is the same as yours.
The same .... that / as


If in a certain sentence/"the same" comes before a noun/the same noun is suggested by "as" or "that" in the 
following clause. But if in the following clause/the verb is understood (i.e. not expressed)/only "as" will be used/not 
"that".
1. This is the same book as/that I bought last year.              
2.       He is the same man as/that came this morning. 
3. This is the same case as yours.
One/one's/oneself
One is an indefinite pronoun. It is used in its own form in all the three cases. In nominative and objective cases/it is used 

as one; in possessive case it is one's/and in the reflexive form it is oneself. It is wrong to use a personal pronoun with it.
1.          One should mind one's (not his) own business.
2.          One should avail oneself (not himself) of every opportunity.
3.          One cannot succeed unless one (not he) works hard.
Reflexive and emphatic pronouns

1. I can do it myself. (reflexive)                                                      
2.       I myself can do it. (emphatic)                       
There are some verbs that take some reflexive pronoun for their object if there is no other object to complete
them. Examples: Avail/absent/ acquit/apply/ revenge/ enjoy/ exert/forget/over-reach /pride/ resign/ etc.
1. I availed myself of this opportunity.                                          
2. I revenged myself upon him.
3. He absented himself from the class.                                       
4. You must have enjoyed yourself during the vacation. 
5. Incorrect: I pride in being an Indian.
   Correct: I pride myself in being an Indian.
Some of us have a peculiar habit of using "myself" for "I" or "I am". As a result we speak or write such monstrosities:
1.      Incorrect: Myself Gaurav.                                                  
Correct: I am Gaurav.
2.    Incorrect: Myself can do it.                                    
Correct: I can do it. OR I myself can do it. OR I can do it myself.


Pronoun-antecedent problems
There is a pronoun in the sentence but it is not clear what or who it is referring to. Worse/it may appear to point to the wrong noun altogether. The way out is to reduce the gap between the pronoun and its correct antecedent or to rewrite the sentence in order to introduce the correct antecedent. Does that sound very complicated? The following examples will make things clear.
Incorrect
Correct
He  has a  resilience would see  him through
He  has  a  resilience  that  would  see  him
anything.
through anything
The book was such that he could read.
The book was such as he could read.
They who are students of the school   need
Those who are students of the school need
not buy tickets.
not buy tickets.
Susan has changed her major twice this
Susan has changed her major twice this
semester. This might mean she is unsure of
semester. This change might mean she is
her career goal.
unsure of her career goal.

(Try to draw an arrow from the pronoun

this to its logical antecedent. The sentence

does not contain a noun which equals this,

so the pronoun has no explicit antecedent.

This makes it necessary to introduce the

word change".)
After interviewing several nurses, I realised
After interviewing several nurses, I realised
that it was not the career for me.
that nursing was not the career for me.

(The pronoun it refers to nursing — a word

that never appears in the sentence.

Therefore, we revise the sentence by

replacing the pronoun with a noun.
The team's poor sportsmanship made all of
The team's poor sportsmanship made all of
them look like whiners,
its members look like whiners.

(The pronoun "them" is trying to refer to

the members of the team. However, neither

the word "team" nor the word "members"

is used in the sentence. Instead, the

possessive form "team's" is used. A

possessive antecedent may be used only for

a possessive pronoun. Therefore, the

sentence has been rewritten.
Richard told Sam that he needed to buy a
"Sam," said Richard, "you need to buy a
new car.
new car."

OR

"I need to buy a new car," Richard told

Sam.

(The pronoun he could refer to either

Richard or Sam. The reader doesn't know if

Richard is announcing his own need for a

new car or telling Sam that Sam's car was a

piece of junk. If the antecedent of a

pronoun is ambiguous, the sentence must
be reworded or the pronoun must be

replaced with a noun. When the pronoun

refers to people, quoting may be a

solution.)
He found himself caught up in floor
He, who was usually a good student, found
activities and neglecting his schoolwork,
himself caught up in floor activities and
who was usually a good student.
neglecting his schoolwork.

(The pronoun who can grammatically refer

back to the antecedent him, but the

distance between them is too great. Arrange

sentences so that the pronoun refers back

to the nearest noun.


Who vs. whom
Another frequent cause of pronoun case error is the confusion between who and whom.
There is one strategy to eliminate this confusion. The difference between "who" and "whom" is one letter — M. Associate the M in "whom" with the M in the objective case pronoun "him". If you could use the pronoun him in your sentence/you can correctly use "whom".
1. You gave permission to him?                             You gave permission to whom?
3. He agreed to that?                                           Who agreed to that?
Pronouns Practice
Incorrect
Correct
Every man must love their own country.
Every man must love his own country.
I   am   not  one   of  those  who   believes
I   am   not   one   of   those   who   believe
everything I see.
everything they see.
The committee decided the matter without
The committee decided the matter without
leaving its seats.
leaving their seats.
Both Manas and Appu showed his fondness
Both Manas and Appu showed their
for his father.
fondness for their father.
The chairman and managing director (CMD)
The chairman and managing director (CMD)
of the company granted their approval to
of the company granted his approval to the
the scheme.
scheme.
Every teacher and every student got their
Every teacher and every student got his
dress ready.
dress ready.
Neither Mani nor Guni has brought their
Neither Mani nor Guni has brought his
identity card.
identity card.
Neither the father nor his sons cares for
Neither the father nor his sons care for
his books.
their books.
It is him whom we are looking for.
It is he whom we are looking for.
Let you and I take a dip in the holy water.
Let you and me take a dip in the holy

water.
Between you and I the problem could have
Between you and me the problem could
been sorted out.
have been sorted out.
When it comes to providing news, The
When it comes to providing news, The
Times of India is as good as him.
Times of India is as good as he.
No friend will come to your partybut I.
No friend will come to your partybut me.
He earns more than her.
He earns more than she.
M4ohan and myself decided to join politics.
Mohan and I decided to join politics.
The film city in Bombay is much more
The   film  city  in  Bombay  is  much  more
developed than Noida.
developed than that in Noida.
This is true that bell-bottoms were once in
It   is true that  bell-bottoms  were  once  in
fashion.
fashion.
India  won  the  match  and  it  was  a  good
India  won  the  match  and  this  was  good
news.
news.
One should take care of his house.
One should take care of one's house.
Each  boy was accompanied by an adult but
Each boy was accompanied by an adult but
there were none with the orphan.
there was none with the orphan.
I   am  used to  many  guests everyday  but
I   am  used to  many  guests  everyday  but
there was none today.
there were none today.
I   could  not  meet   either   of   my  three
I   cou!d  not  meet  anyone  of  my  three
brothers at home.
brothers at home.
Either of the choice fit the answer.
Either of the choices fits the answer.
The boys narrated stories each.
Each of the boys narrated stories.


No comments:

Post a Comment